List of gift Ideas & souvenirs to buy from Australia
November 27, 2017
How to check for authentic Aboriginal art & products?
When you buy Aboriginal art, please check that it is an authentic piece made by Aboriginal people. Often art & products which are tagged "Aboriginal-style" have been mass-produced or Aboriginal people did not consent to their symbols and patterns being used.
As a rule, ensure there is a Certificate of Authenticity to establish the origin of a work. Ask if the item made in Australia or
If there is a royalty payment to the artist from this sale? Always check the label.
Below is a list of unique local Australian gifts ideas and souvenirs to buy for your family and friends. Don't forget you can make a claim for a tax refund by visiting the TRS facility in an international airport or at the cruise liner terminal at your final port of departure from Australia. (What is the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS)?)
- Aboriginal Art
- Australian Wines
- Australian Macadamia Nuts - available at all leading supermarkets
- Australian Merino Wool clothing
- Australian Opal jewellery
- Royal Australian Mint Coin Collection - buy it from Australia Post
- Tim Tam's - a brand of chocolate biscuit which can be bought from major supermarkets.
- Vegemite is a thick, black Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives. Can be bought from major supermarkets.
- Ugg Boots made from Australian sheepskin.
- Manuka Honey available at all major supermarkets and health stores.
- R.M. Williams handcrafted Leather Boots, Clothing & Belts
- Iconic Akubra bush hats made of rabbit fur felt with wide brims
- Lucas' Papaw Ointment can be bought from major supermarkets and Pharmacies.
- Bundaberg Rum
- Australian plush soft toys like Koala, Kangaroo, Kookaburra, Tasmanian Devil, Wombat, Platypus, Emu